Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Just the Right Hat

Grew up in Minnesota.  When I was 14 a Remington Arms sales rep moved in across the street.  His name was Art Wheaton.  Many, many great memories following Art around hunting grouse in northern Minnesota.  Just told a story about Art to my co-workers todayas a matter of fact.  

On the weekends in the fall when not duck hunting, we would tear up north to grouse hunt.  One of Art's insider tricks was to carry a full complement of implement dealer hats in the back window of his company stationwagon.  We would slowly drive by any likely hunting spots and he would look to see what type of farm equipment that particular farmer would have sitting in the yard.  Then he would rifle through is hat collection to find a matching implement brand.  With that hat on, he would go to the door and ask permission to hunt their land.  In all my time hunting with Art, I never saw him get turned down.

By the way, I still shoot the 1974 Remington 870 Wingmaster that Art Wheaton helped me buy.  Have never found the need for a different shotgun, while hunting the lakes and upland of Minnesota, the pheasant fields of central South Dakota to the sharptail habitat of western South Dakota where I now live.

No comments:

Post a Comment